Port of Liepaja 320
Year 1700
Construction of the port promoted shipping and this year around 100 ships visited the port. Grains, lumber, leather and other agricultural goods were exported from Liepāja, and salt, herring, construction materials, hardware and other goods were imported.
Year 1703
First part of port construction was finished:
  • width of the channel 13 m
  • depth 2.9 – 3.2 m
  • length 1800 m
Year 1705
South of the new port almost on the very shore of the sea during the Great Northern War (1700-1721) Swedes built a fortification the goal of which was to cover the troops moving south-east from attacks of the enemy. The new Port of Liepaja facilitated the necessary flow of resources for reinforcements and troops, which was highly appreciated by Swedes.
Foto © Liepaja museum
Year 1725
Digging of the port channel was finished.
Its width was 43 – 65 m.
Year 1736
Liepaja was attacked by a devastating storm due to which so much sand was brought to the entrance of the port that in some places its depth reached only one meter, and also a number of ships were smashed and 39 people died.
To avoid such disasters in future it was decided to lengthen the northern pier of the port and to enforce the coast. The port was deepened and the entrance was enclosed by two parallel dams that were made of crib boxes filled with stones.

As you have probably guessed the main impulse for improving the port at the time was the necessity to protect it from dangers caused by nature.
Foto © Liepaja museum
Year 1737
Berebd Heyns, shipbuilding master residing in Liepāja was successful in building a 73 feet long and 22 feet wide frigate. They say its ropes were made in Königsberg, anchors in Sweden, and sail-cloth came from Saint Petersburg. On next year’s March Duke Ernst Johann allowed this frigate to have his name and exempted it of all port taxes.
Year 1795
The Duchy of Courland and Semigallia was annexed to the Russian Empire. No critical changes took place in the port.
Portrait of the Duke Johann Ernst von Biron. Foto © Liepaja museum
Mo. – Fr.: 08:00 – 16:30